Thursday 2 July 2015

charity shop lace

two little bags at 50p each.....what gems...smelly and grubby...but gems none the less..I had no idea what was going to be in the bags...just lace-y bits I could cut up and collage...

I went to Macclesfield a few years ago and visited the silk mills and was allowed to throw the shuttle on a old floor loom. I also saw the machines that made lace ...in operation...l was fascinated ...what brain conceived a machine that could step by step construct complicated lace-y patterns...its like computer code ...the cards punched with coded holes...

These are mostly collars and cuffs....?1910-1920s. Funnily enough Lyn sent me a link to collars fashion helping to date ancestors photos...
 these should enlarge when you click on them so you can see the intricate work.
 




 this is about one and a half inches wide and two and a half long....


 several crochet flower rounds stitched through to keep them together...
what do I do....I think if I try washing them....they may fall to pieces....if I try ironing them...they may fall to pieces too... any ideas what to do ...?

No comments:

Post a Comment