Thursday, 14 March 2013

eBay thing-y 2

I'm just guessing......having trawled the internet I finally found pictures of a nostepinne.......loosely translated...nest stick........they are for sale on eBay......But I don't know how to lift a picture of one to put on here.
They look a bit like a dibber...but there's a thumb ring turned at the top of the handle to stop the wool coming down....and a bit like a thurtle.
at the top......a Scots thurtle.......(porridge stirrer), next my gadget thing-y and then a dibber measured in inches for planting at correct height. Both have a taper on them which helps to slide the ball of wool/yarn off.
Hold a tail of wool/yarn on the handle and wind the wool/yarn around the wood while turning the stick slowly and you get a compact ball of wool that can be drawn from the centre of the ball. An even tension is kept on the wool while winding whereas hand winding on the fingers tension can alter and ball is not as compact. The pins threw me.....but could they be stitch holders ?
I could be completely wrong and have just found a plausible use for the tool..........can any one tell if I am right or wrong or seen something similar ? I had noticed balls of gardening twine are wound one way only, but when I hand wind wool/yarn I have to wind it left to right and swop to right to left to even out the ball. By winding wool onto something cylindrical it can be wound one way as the stick is rotated and get a tighter wound ball that doesn't unravel easily and the yarn can be pulled from the middle. So a bit of dowel, tube, plastic bottle, rolled up paper anything stick like works.


  1. Looks good to me but the names are quite foreign for me, but it seems to do the trick.

  2. Does seem very plausible must admit!

  3. thanks to both of you.....but I'm still left thinking I've only "found" a solution that "fits".....and I don't really know it's real purpose.....Maybe I'll thread a cord through it and wear it as a necklace at the NEC show next week !!
    someone might stop me and tell me....